Mrs. McDonald Leaves No Reader Behind

In the fall, I read the story Miss Malarkey Leaves No reader Behind by Judy Finchler & Kevin O’Malley. This is a great story about a teacher that is determined to turn everyone of her students into a book lover. I have the same goal for your children. I want to encourage each of your children to chose reading material that is “just right” and of interest. I have a class of amazing readers but sometimes they become frustrated when they want to read a book and there isn’t a test. This website will allow them to write reviews and build a bookshelf as a class so that we can read books that others recommend. Your child should be reading 20 minutes 5 times a week. They will be held accountable for their reading because you will need to log their minutes.

Our goal will be 600 books as a class by June to have a Sundae party together. You will enter the time that they read at home but they can also write reviews on books that they read at school. Let’s give it a try and together we can decide whether or not we want to do it next year.

Reading Rewards will be a great way for us to see what everybody is reading, how much, and how you all rate and review your books. We get our own blog, too, where we can share all sorts of thoughts about our reading.

Reading Rewards is also a reading incentive program that is designed to encourage kids to read. Every time you log reading time on the site, you will earn ‘RR Miles’ you can spend in a Fun and Games section.

Here’s what I’d like you to do:

1. Sign up for a free account at www.reading-rewards.com. It’s fast and easy to do!
  2. Click on the Groups tab, and look for our group by searching for ‘Mrs. McDonald’s 2nd Graders, GES‘. Once you find it, click on it and JOIN our group!
  3. Go to your My Reading page and pick an avatar to represent you!
  4. Every time you read, click on ‘I read some more’ in your ‘Log Reading Time’ section.

That’s it! There’s lots more on the site you are welcome to explore, but that’s all you need to do to get started for our reading group.

Happy Reading!